The Affordable Care Act added sections 6055 and 6056 to the Internal Revenue Code. Information reporting under sections 6055 and 6056 is required in 2016 for 2015.
- Section 6055 provides that every provider of minimum essential coverage will report coverage information by filing an information return with the IRS and furnishing a statement to individuals.
- Section 6056 requires that all applicable large employers file information returns with the IRS and provide statements to their full-time employees about the health insurance coverage the employer offers.
Information reporting under sections 6055 and 6056 is required in 2016 for the 2015 calendar year. The IRS has provided further information on reporting of offers of health insurance coverage by health care providers (Section 6055) and employers (Section 6056).
In addition, the IRS released Forms 1095-B and 1095-C that show what coverage they offer employees, as required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Form 1095-B is for reporting 6055 health coverage information.
- Form 1094-C is for transmitting of employer-provided health insurance offer and coverage returns to the IRS. Form 1095-C includes information about the health coverage offered by the employer.
- Form 1095-C, Part II, includes information about the coverage, if any, the employer offers.
These are for information purposes only. Do not use the draft versions for filing purposes. Additional information will be provided by the IRS.